Sunday, 22 October 2017
Registering Marriages in Bulgaria Print E-mail
Any marriage conducted outside the Republic of Bulgaria by a Bulgarian citizen must be registered in Bulgaria.

This is done at the municipality at which any one of the spouses (Bulgarian citizens) is registered as residing. For a marriage to be registered, the spouses must produce the marriage certificate that has been legalized by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office at the following address:

The Legalization Office, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Old Admiralty Building, Whitehall, London SW1A 2LG; tel.: 020 7008 1111; fax: 020 7008 1010; Web: .

Once the marriage certificate is legalized, it has to be translated into Bulgarian by any licensed translation agency in Bulgaria or by a certified UK-based translator (a list of licensed translators is available on the Embassy's website). If the translation had been made by a licensed translator in London, it has to be certified together with the original document at the Embassy's Consular Section.

The certificate must then be sent to the municipality of residence in Bulgaria, where it is registered and a Bulgarian Marriage Certificate issued. The English certificate is kept for the records by the municipal authorities in Bulgaria.

The registration can also be done by an authorized representative. In that case, the power of attorney must be certified at the Embassy's Consular Section.

It is recommended that the applicants request and hold two originals of the English Marriage Certificate.