Terms and Conditions for the Import of Pets in Bulgaria
Under the Veterinary Medical Activities Act, importers of pets, such as dogs, cats, horses, etc., are required to present to the border veterinary authorities:
- An immunisation passport indicating an ID number, a description of the pet, and information about vaccinations and anti-parasite treatment, issued by a licensed vet in the country of origin;
- A medical certificate for the pet indicating its origin and health status, which has been issued by a governmental or another authorized veterinary doctor, and which verifies that:
- - the pet has undergone a check no more than 24 hours before the date of its export and the check has not shown any clinical symptoms of a disease;
- - if over three months old, the pet has received a rabies shot with an inactivated vaccine containing no less than 1 UI, measured by applying the activation method described in the existing European pharmacopoeia, no less than 30 days and no more than 12 months prior to the date of export, and that the certificate bears an indication of the vaccine’s brand name and serial number;
- - in the place of the pet’s residence there have been no cases of rabies registered in the last six months;
- - since the day of its birth, the pet has been kept indoors and has been raised at the place where it was born (only applicable to pets under three months).
At the border, a mandatory check is performed of the pets’ health, papers, and identity. Should the check establish that the pet’s papers are not valid or that it poses a risk to public health, it may be confiscated.
In Bulgaria, control over the import of live animals is implemented by the National Veterinary Medical Service at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forest. The Service can be contacted on (+359 2) 915 9820 (tel), and on (+359 2) 954 9593 (fax).
The Border Veterinary Medical Service gives information in Bulgarian on tel. (+359 2) 915 9825. Further information is available on the Bulgarian Customs Agency’s website, www.customs.bg .
In the UK, information about pet import/export is available on (+44 0) 870241 1710, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, and on a very detailed, user-friendly website: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm For more information you can also call 020 8969 0178 or visit www.mayhewanimalhome.org