Friday, 23 June 2017
Early History of Bulgarian Diplomatic Mission to London Print E-mail
Even before the Liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman domination Great Britain opened its Vice Consulates in Bourgas, Varna and Ruse. In 1853 England opened its consulate in Varna, the largest seaport city on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast, appointing O’Neal as Consul. Seven years later, in 1860 an English Consulate was opened in another port city, Ruse on the Danube River, which provided a direct link of Bulgaria with Central and Western Europe. Robert Deilil was appointed Consul in Ruse, succeeded by Meyer in 1864.

The Bulgarian Principality established diplomatic relations with Great Britain immediately after the Liberation and the signing of the Berlin Treaty. On July 23, 1879 the first British diplomatic agent and Consul General in Sofia Lord William Palgrave solemnly handed his letters of credence to the Bulgarian Prince Alexander Batenberg.
In 1898 the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs made its first approaches for establishment of a Bulgarian diplomatic agency in Great Britain. Bulgaria opened its diplomatic agency in London in 1903. On September 27, 1903 the first Bulgarian diplomatic agent Dimiter Tsokov was appointed. He was succeeded by Dimiter Stanchov who handed his letters of credence in January 1908.

When on March 14, 1909 Great Britain recognised Bulgaria’s independence, proclaimed on September 22, 1908, the Bulgarian diplomatic agent Pancho Hadjimishev took steps for raising the rank of the diplomatic representations. In the same year 1909 the Bulgarian diplomatic agency in London and the British diplomatic agency in Sofia were raised to the rank of legations and the diplomatic agents into ministers plenipotentiary.